WIZARD TUTORIAL - FATALITIES
The fatality pack wizard in the Mod Builder can be used to generate the appropriate file structure for a new Fatality Pack. This guide will walk you through its usage. Also, don't forget to have a look at the paired Victory Strike Example.
Running The Wizard
- Launch the Mod Builder.
- Click File and select New.
- In the New Mod dialog, select FatalityPack for Type and click OK.
- Click the … button beside the Mod File text box and select a location for your mod. You can save your mod anywhere, but it is recommended that you create a folder for it, e.g. C:\mods\my_fatality\my_fatality.mod.
- Enter in a Name and Description for your fatality. This is the name and description that will show up in the Steam Workshop.
- If you have a preview image for your fatality, click the … button beside the Preview Image text box and select it. It should be a TGA image with a resolution of 280x280. You can add this image later time if you do not have one.
- Click the … button beside the Attribute File text box and select a location for your attributes.
- Click the … button beside the Icon Path text box and select a location for your icons.
- Click OK to complete the wizard.
If you do not specify a full path for any paths other than the Mod File, the paths will implicitly be relative to your Mod File path.
Your completed wizard might look something like this:
Creating The Fatality Ability
- Expand attrib\attrib then double click your attributes file. The Attribute Editor should start.
- Click Categories then select inventory then fatality. A fatality tab should open.
- Select your fatality in the Tree View and expand fatality_bag then server_item.
- By default, your fatality will be available to all races, if you wish to restrict the races to which it is available, add those races to fatality_bag\server_item\races (right click then Add).
- By default, your fatality will use the default fatality ability, if you wish to change the ability:
- Right click on fatality_bag\ability and select Go To Reference.
- Right click on fatality_default in the Tree View and select Clone…
- In the Clone dialog, rename fatality_default (the name does not matter, but by convention it is good to match the fatality's name) and click OK.
- Select your new ability and edit it to your taste (most the magic happens in ability_bag\action_list\start_target_actions).
- Return to the fatality tab, double click fatality_bag\ability and select your new ability.
- When you are happy with your changes, save then close the Attribute Editor.
Completing The Fatality
- If you wish to update the Steam Workshop name/description of your fatality:
- Expand info then double click your fatality's name. The Mod Info dialog should appear.
- Edit your fatality's name or description.
- If you wish to add a Steam Workshop preview image for your fatality:
- Right click on info and select Add Burn File…
- Browse to your preview image and select it. It should be a TGA image with a resolution of 280x280.
- Right click on your preview image and select Add Burn Settings then generic-image to data-rgt. This will compress the image decreasing the size of your mod.
- If you wish to change the inventory image for your fatality.
- Expand data\ui then double click your icons path.
- Edit icon.png.
Testing The Fatality
- Click Build then select Build.
- A dialog will appear informing you that the build is in progress, wait for it to complete.
- If the build is a success, your fatality will be copied to your Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\fatalities folder.
- Launch Company of Heroes 2 from Steam.
- Your fatality should appear in your inventory (if you restricted your fatality to a specific race you might need to change your race).
- Equip your fatality and create a Custom Game to test it out.
- If you are happy with your fatality and wish to publish it to the Steam Workshop:
- Select the Modding HUB from the Company of Heroes 2 Main Menu.
- Select the Manage tab.
- Select your fatality.
- Click Publish.